Full Transcript:

What’s up guys! It’s Michael with Michlin Metals back again why? Well because it’s THURSDAY BABY! That means metal. Today we’re talking Hastelloy’s! Before that, check out this graph. It says that 8% of you are subscribed! Thank you so much. The other 92% if you are watching, THANK YOU TOO!!! However, if you like the videos please consider hitting this little button! Subscribe. Ok, let’s do this!

This video will introduce you to a group of corrosion and high temperature alloys called “Hastelloys”. Hastelloy is a trademark of Haynes International and only products they produce can carry the name “Hastelloy”. Among the more popular are the Hastelloys designated C-22, C-22HS,C-263, C-276, and X. Hastelloy C-263 and Hastelloy X are high temperature alloys used in applications like jet and rocket engine components. These other “C” alloys are used in applications more for their corrosion performance in severe service environments. These alloys are mainly composed of Nickel, Chromium, and Molybdenum.

Generic versions made by other producers will often contain modified names but will have the same UNS chemistry designation. I am omitting minor restricted elements in the chemical compositions so I don’t run out of breath…

So here goes. First the high temperature alloys:

C-263 UNS N07263 has a typical composition of 52% Nickel, 20% Cobalt, 20% Chromium, 6% Molybdenum, and 2 % Titanium (plus Aluminum). This combination of elements has good strength when precipitation heat treated.

Hastelloy X UNS N06002 has a nominal chemical composition of 47% Nickel,1.5% Cobalt, 18% Iron, 22% Chromium, 9% Molybdenum, and 6 % Tungsten. It is one of the earlier high temperature alloys, dating back to the 1950’s and still in use today. This alloy offers a good balance of high temperature strength and oxidation resistance. Hastelloy X cannot be strengthened by heat treatment.


This next group of alloys are used mainly for corrosion applications, particularly for severe environments.

Hastellloy C-22 UNS.N06022 has an average composition of 56 % Nickel, 22% Chromium, 13% Molybdenum, 3% Iron, 3% Tungsten, with a maximum of 2.5% Cobalt. Highly corrosion resistant to both oxidizing and non oxidizing chemicals and chlorides that can induce pitting and stress corrosion cracking in other grades. This alloy cannot be strengthened by heat treatment.

Hastellloy C-22HS UNS N07022 has a nominal composition of 61% Nickel, 21 % Chromium, 17% Molybdenum. Well recognized as among the highest strength corrosion resistant alloys for NACE sour gas applications, it can be strengthened by heat treatments or by cold work combined with heat treatments.

Hastelloy C-276 UNS N10276 is an alloy of 57% Nickel, 16% Chromium, 16% Molybdenum, 5% Iron, 4% Tungsten and a maximum of 2.5% Cobalt. It was among the early 1950’s alloys developed for corrosion applications and is still in use today based on its performance history. It is not hardenable by heat treatment.

There are many more alloys with the Hastelloy name developed by Haynes International and also more with the name “Haynes” that we will talk about in the next video. All are very complex alloys, developed by metallurgists to survive corrosion and or high temperatures in severe applications. Specifications are needed to fully define the material and we will always remind you to


Thank you all for tuning in! If you made it this far, you like metal, you know this, I know this. Since that’s the case, click this button, subscribe! You won’t miss any more of my videos about metal! If you missed a previous one, click here. Check them out! Thank you for watching, this is Michael with Michlin Metals, OUT!